Monday, May 11, 2009

When people think of D.C. they think of politics and museums, but my city is full of so much more than that. Sure, our bars and clubs may be full of more politicians, military members, and government contactors than in most cities, but when the ties come off and the shirts are buttoned low amazing things can happen.

We love, cry, laugh, and do it all with a soundtrack in the background. I call the soundtrack the metro siren and it’s the music in D.C.

Music is my passion, and lately my obsession because I am addicted to concerts. I’m not trying to lobby for or against a genre or artist. I just want to share with you my favorite shows and learn something about yours.

What is your favorite part about a concert? For some it is the chance to get just a little closer to that hot guitarist or vocalist who seems to cry and strum all your pain and desires. A chance to be within feet of the mortal God whose image is plastered all over your locker and bedroom walls; the one who answers every apprehension with a song and makes us laugh with them in their music videos.

My favorite part is the crowd. The people, just like me, who are there for all of the above and more. We memorize the tour schedules and sign up for every email alert. We make sure everyone knows when the band comes home to play. We are the ones who come early to the show and stay late until everyone leaves. Call us what you want, but we are fans of music.

In the crowd it doesn’t matter if you are rich, poor, young, old, prep, punk, Emo, pop, from the country or the city. We may never otherwise talk to each other and we might even hate each other but the truth of the matter is that this silly little piece of music brought us all here. We are singing, dancing, having fun, and all is good in the world.

So, when is the next show?

No comments: